Friday, April 16, 2010

Message board

My niece turned one this week and I got crafty and made part of her gift. Her parents have a space theme going because my brother-in-law does some kind of work for NASA. Don't ask me what because I can't even begin to explain it. Anyway, I picked up this great Toy Story fabric at the thrift store, not knowing what I wanted to do with it, but it was too cute not to buy. Later I decided on a message board so it was back to the thrift store to pick up a cork board. I got this really nice sturdy one and I planned on just pulling the fabric around the frame. However, a trip to Hobby Lobby later that day changed my mind when I saw some of the message boards they had for sale. I'm sorry this is the only pre-completed project picture I have. I get excited and forget to take pictures. Since this cork board had a good sturdy frame I really had to pound on it to release the frame from the cork. It's a miracle I didn't break the frame. I then painted the frame, put the fabric around the cork, and crisscrossed ribbons across the fabric. I also bought large push pins and mod podged fabric over the top and placed them at the ribbon intersections.
A closeup of the message board. I love that I found this fabric since Toy Story 3 is coming out this summer.

And a picture of the completed project. I'm excited to hear how my sister liked the present. They just moved into a new house not long ago and she said they don't have much up on the walls.

1 comment:

  1. What a darling board...I love it. I really need to get busy.Your blog is darling.
    Come by sometime.
    Love,Debbie

    ReplyDelete